CWO5 Rex Williams Award for Excellence in Military Intelligence
The nomination period for the 2021 CWO5 Rex Williams Award for Excellence in Military Intelligence has closed. Please check back in November 2021 for the opening of the 2021 nomination period.
Established in 2016, this award is named in honor of CWO5 Rex A. Williams, U.S. Army, Retired. Mr. Williams enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1971 and served as an imagery and intelligence analyst in Germany, Korea, Hawaii, and various locations throughout CONUS. He improved training, mentored countless soldiers, and assisted in defining the processes of Intelligence Preparation of the Battlefield, which remains the foundation of intelligence analysis. He also served as the first chief warrant officer of the MI Corps. During his tenure, he modernized every aspect of the MI warrant officer corps, from accessions to leader development. Mr. Williams is recognized foremost for his thirty-one years of outstanding service and contribution to MI as well as his strong devotion to the nation and the soldiers who serve.
The Williams Award is intended to recognize the leadership contributions of a company-grade warrant officer (WO1-CWO2) in the field of Military Intelligence. Eligible candidates must meet the following criteria:
(1) Be a company-grade warrant officer (WO1-CWO2) in the U.S. Army during the period of eligibility. CWO2 nominees must not be promotable at the time of nomination submission.
(2) Possess an MI Military Occupational Specialty (MOS).
(3) Be fully eligible for continued service for at least one year after award presentation. Award cannot be given posthumously.
(4) Must not be under unfavorable personnel action or UCMJ.
(5) Meet height and weight standards specified in Army Regulation (AR) 600-9.
(6) Maintain a current passing grade on the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT). The APFT requirement is waived for deployed nominees who are unable to take the APFT.
Williams Award Recipients
2020 CW2 Beeson, Evan
2019 CW2 Johnson, Aaron, A.
2018 CW2 LaPonsey, Jason, D.
2017 CW2 Barber, Stephen, R.
2016 CW2 Penfield, David